February 3, 2011
So I’m sure you all realize that Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. I used to spend Valentine’s Day with my bf Katty and make treats for her…but she moved to Hawaii and I’m thankful to spend Valentine’s Day with my boyfriend this year, and he deserves something sweet! :) So make these for someone you love, whether it be your Mom, Husband, Sister, Boyfriend, Girlfriend, or Granny :)
Rich Chocolate Cupcakes with Coffee
This makes around 18 regular cupcakes and you can’t taste the coffee, it just brings out the flavor of the chocolate!
1/2 cup hot coffee
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup cold water
1 1/2 cup cake flour (if you only have all-purpose, subtract 3 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs (I use large)
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Turn on your oven to 350 degrees, and line your muffin pan.
2. In a small bowl fork whisk the coffee with the cocoa powder (no lumps!)
3. In a medium bowl, sift or whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
4. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla.
6. Alternately add the flour mixture and coffee mixture until all is blended together.
7. Spoon mixture to gallon size ziptop bag, squeeze out the air, seal it, cut a 1/2 inch off the tip, and pipe into muffin tins.
Bake at 350 for 20ish minutes or until toothpick comes out clean!
White Chocolate Frosting
8 ounces white chocolate, chopped, or you can use white chocolate chips!
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 ounces unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup milk (you may need a little more)
1. Melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave. Set aside.
2. Beat the sugar, vanilla, butter and milk until fluffy.
3. Mix in the melted chocolate and pop into the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until firm enough for decorating.
On to the decorating……
If you do not have the skill or tools to pipe frosting, you can spread it with the back side of a spoon! And they look just as cute…almost ;) So I spread this one with the back of a regular spoon and then put some V-Day sprinkles in a shallow bowl, turned the cupcake upside down and dipped it in the sprinkles. Orrrr you tilt the cupcake and only rim the sides with sprinkles..Voila!
Orrr if you would like to pipe them out you can. I used my fave 1M tip and a disposable piping bag.
And because I was an overachiever I melted some white chocolate, dyed it purple, spooned it into a little ziptop bag, cut a tiny tip, and then piped out some letters and hearts on a piece of parchment paper and let them cool, peeled them off, and put them on my cupcakes! :)
PS Happy Chinese New Year to my gf Becky Lui!!!!! <3