Banana Butterscotch Cupcakes
November 26, 2011
Yes. Simply delicious.
My sister Michelle is pregnant and about to have another baby girl so naturally I volunteered to do the desserts for her baby shower! :) I chose a few little goodies that would please her million friends and all their babies. (Did you know people bring their babies to baby showers????) My Coconut Cupcakes were requested, and were a hit. I also decided to try these Banana Butterscotch Cupcakes from Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans that I have had bookmarked for like three years. I also made a delicious little cookie that I’ll be posting soon.
They were wonderful! They are not a banana muffin, but rather a banana cupcake, with these little surprise bites of rich butterscotch flavor. The recipe for frosting called for half and half and somethings I didn’t have on hand so I decided to make a Salted Caramel Buttercream using the Salted Caramel from my Salted Caramel Apple Bundt which is also coming soon.. :) But you can use any frosting you like, cream cheese, vanilla, caramel, etc..
Banana Butterscotch Cupcakes <—makes 12 regular cupcakes
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 medium bananas, broken into 1-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup buttermilk (if you don’t have any on hand, google a substitute which can be done with vinegar or lemon juice!)
1 cup butterscotch chips
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake tins with liners.
2. In a medium bowl sift/whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add in the banana until they are blended into the mixture. (You will still see some small pieces of banana.)
5. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until each is blended.
6. Add the vanilla and beat for 1 minute.
7. Add half of the flour mixture, then the buttermilk, then the rest of the flour.
8. Stir in the butterscotch chips.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Remember, any frosting you would like to pair with these amazing cupcakes, just go for it.
Michelle, I cannot wait to meet your new baby girl and bake her her first cupcake! :)